6 Best Things About Living in the Lake Country Area
I’ll share my most favorite things about where I live. For those who don’t know, I live in a great little town called Hartland located in the heart of the lake country area in Wisconsin. The Lake Country Area, is simply a term us residents use to name the area we live in. We are surrounded by lakes! (Hence the name, The Lake Country Mom.)
1. Location. I am not far from other smaller towns/cities, just a few minutes. I am also just a short drive about 25 minutes to downtown Milwaukee, and about 45-50 minutes from Madison. I am right in the middle of everything-so I love that! I literally have tons of park and trails right in my own town, but several other choices in a less than 10 minute drive. Same with beaches-they are everywhere, we can go swimming, lay in the sun, go fishing, boating, jet-skiing-you name it!
2. Small Town Charm. Hartland is very small, just under 10,000 people (last est. in 2012.) Here is what The Hartland Chamber of Commerce had to say about Hartland on their website, “Hartland offers an exceptional quality of life, with a unique blend of many positive features. A dynamic economic environment, thriving business community, growing industrial base, lovely residential neighborhoods, convenience, small town charm and abundant recreational opportunities. There are twelve lakes within a five mile radius, numerous parks and golf courses, and a number of active civic and community organizations.” (I could not have said it better!)
3. Shopping. Hartland is filled with small shops and unique stores. You can find consignments shops, interior decorating, accessories, the latest fashions, natural living products and so much more! I could literally walk the streets of “downtown” Hartland and shop for a few hours!
4. Dining. Another great thing about Hartland is the choices of where to go to eat. Hartland has some really amazing restaurants and cafes, some with a lot of history! Some of my favorites are Endter’s Sports Grill-a family favorite! Palmer’s Steakhouse-a true treat with amazing history. There are also a few places to relax and have a cup of coffee, my personal favorite is The Pink Mocha. Zesti is the perfect place for a date! Beer Snobs is a fun stop for a quick beer and dinner too!
5. Education. I live in the Arrowhead School district, which is incredible it itself. It a great education system. I pulled these facts from the Hartland Lakeside School District’s website: “Hartland-Lakeside is a community oriented school district with high quality programs and services. It is located in the Village of Hartland, Wisconsin, and serves the Village of Hartland and the Towns of Delafield, Merton, and Pewaukee. We are a kindergarten through eighth grade system with a student population of 1336. Hartland North is K-2nd grades, Hartland School of Community Learning and Hartland South are grades 3-5, LIFE Charter School is grades 6-8, and North Shore Middle School is 6-8. Attendance is determined by the location of your residence. Upon completion of eighth grade at North Shore Middle School, students attend Arrowhead High School.” My daughter is in third grade in Hartland, and we love it so much, and they do so many amazing things with education and have made several advances in the future of education.
6. Community. Whether I am in Hartland, Delafield, North Lake, Stone Bank, Merton, Oconomowoc, any part of “lake country,” I feel the community pride. Each town/city is proud to be who and what they are, from parades to fundraisers to festivals to fireworks to tree lightings-they do it all! This is my most favorite part of living where I do.
For more history of Hartland, click here.
I would love to hear about where you live and what your favorite things are. Please share!